“To bring some accountability to economic policy, I have set out eight benchmarks for the next Parliament against which you will be able to judge whether a Conservative Government is delivering on this new economic model... So we will maintain Britain’s AAA credit rating.”After:
"[... maintaining Britain's AAA is] not the be-all and end-all"Inappropriate lessons:
- Agreeing in advance what it is absolutely paramount for procurement to deliver isn't that important - just say what you think is politically acceptable and re-write, with the benefit of hindsight, if you completely miss the #1 priority;
- Do not use measurable KPIs as there is too much clarity if your strategy doesn't work;
- There's always the hope that food supply chain debacles or political scandals will act as a distraction.
- Plans don't always go as well as you hope;
- Regularly review your strategy for appropriateness - agree a change of KPIs before it's too late to gain ownership;
- Hubris, stubbornness and blind optimism do not deliver long term benefits.